zeal for your house consumes me...
So I have this daily little routine I've been walking out as I gather my scattered self to this here prayer sanctuary. Today is March 9th, so I read Psalm 9 and Proverbs 9, but I also read Psalm 69 too. (9+30+30 - Jan. 9th was supposed to be the real Ps. 9 day, Feb. 9th was Ps. 39 and today = Ps 69, but I go ahead and read em all for nostalgia sake). It's just a way I can decide where to go with this vast tome we call the Bible that I carry around with me. Anyway, it always fascinates me how these themes rise to the surface - I find myself marveling as I play scriptural connect-the-dots. Today I also read Ezra which only compounded today's two themes the Holy Spirit has brought to my attention. The first theme that jumped out at me was this idea of God's house. In Psalm 69:9 David states "zeal for your house consumes me." This is the verse the disciples attribute to Jesus when he stormed into the temple and declared: "It is written, my house will be called a house of prayer for the nations!" (quoting Isaiah 56:7). Psalm 9 didn't actually speak of God's house but it did talk of his throne in Zion, the fact that he is a refuge for the oppressed, etc. Then my reading in Proverbs highlighted two houses: the one that Lady Wisdom has built and the one that Lady Folly dwells in. Both houses sit at the highest point of the city - two houses on twin peaks: one leads to life, the other to death. Then Ezra is all about rebuilding the house of God in Jerusalem and how God changes the minds of Persian Kings and gets them to actually fund the whole project. All in all I found it interesting as I sit here in this little sacred space, this house that God's presence is being sought, and as I dream about the day when Moscow and every city in the Northwest boasts of a 24-7 house of prayer. I think of David who said "I will not enter my house or go to my bed - I will allow no sleep to my eyes, no slumber to my eyelids till I find a place for the Lord, a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob." (Psalm 132:3-5). Certainly God wants most to make his dwelling in the hearts of men and women, but I think that cultivating sacred spaces in the tangible space-time continuum can help men's hearts become dwelling places for God. Read Haggai. It laments that God's people had their houses in order but had neglected God's house. David understood this. It's called zeal. I guess you could say that zeal for God's house is starting to consume me too.
So, the second theme that nailed me this morning (interestingly, quite related to the first theme) can be summed up in the following verses: "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. Psalm 69:32 picks up the theme: "you who seek God, may your hearts live!". I wont belabor this point but the chapter in Proverbs and the whole book of Ezra has this component of seeking the Lord (Ezra 6:21). I found this thought very encouraging: that God will never forsake those who seek Him. Are you seeking Him? "Er, I think I am. How can I be sure?" you say. Well, those who have slotted times to meet Him in this place, I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that you're seeking Him. Especially when you show up at 2am. If you are seeking Him, you are unforsakable. Seeking Him is the prescription for having hearts that live! Seek Him in the place that He is welcomed. It may be in a certain place, like this place. But it should most definitely be in your heart. Don't give up in your search because He will never give up on you. Amos 5:4 says it best: "This is what the Lord says to the house of Israel: Seek me and live."
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home