24-7 Prayer for Universities of the Palouse

Monday, March 10, 2008

Abundant Grace

As I sat in reflection this morning, I was reminded about grace. A song came across the stereo, proclaiming that the Lord makes all things new. But does He really? Being a Christian for so long, the concept is almost lost to me, dismissed, even forgotten. So often I get it in my mind that this grace that songs proclaim, that we proclaim, is a one-time thing, that grace happens once, and that it only abounds once, then after that we are to live a perfect life, that always brings glory to God. This is where I often get discouraged. I know we are supposed to be perfect as Christ is perfect, but I forget that His grace is OVERFLOWING, OVERWHELMING, and simply MORE than ENOUGH to cover my sins - past, present, future - and I become trapped by the lie that tells me because I am a committed Christ-follower that my "grace-period" has elapsed.

So much of our Christian vocabulary reinforces these perceptions. "Grace covers a multitude of sins" - as if the sins it covers can be quantified! They can't! "Your Grace is Enough" (a popular song in the contemporary Christian's worship repertoire) - this should proclaim "Your Grace is MORE Than Enough!", instead it suggests that the Lord's grace is simply sufficient, instead of infinitely abundant. O Lord! Help me, help us, to realize the abundance of Your love and grace, and its recurrence for Your committed followers. Make us as new beings each day with the renewing of the Holy Spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home